In anticipation of Discovering the Dinosaurs in Boston this weekend the kids and I decided to have some prehistoric fun around the house. Here’s a look at some dinosaur activities….
Our Very Own Dinosaur Exhibit
When I told the kids about the dinosaur exhibit this weekend they decided to create their own dinosaur exhibit on our stairs. I’m fairly confident that their exhibit is a compilation of EVERY ONE of the dinosaurs that we currently own (plus a few other friends that they thought fit into their exhibit). To have a little more (educational) fun we sorted the dinosaurs by size and then put them in order from biggest to smallest!
Dinosaur Sensory Bin
Mom’s dinosaur bin.
I put together a dinosaur sensory bin for the kids to explore using some rocks and fake plants I found at the dollar store. Then I, being the nerd that I am, carefully set up all of the little dinosaurs in the bin. Well, once my two year old got his hands on the bin he decided to set it up a little differently!
Little man’s new and improved dinosaur bin!
Some Great Dinosaur Links!
I really enjoy doing preschool and kindergarten packs with my children and I love these dinosaur themed ones. I printed these two packs out a few months ago to do with my youngest and he loved them. I saved them and will be breaking them out again this week. My two favorite dinosaur packs are the following:
Favorite Dinosaur Books
(Make sure to check your local library for these books. I know that I’ve taken many of them out of our library.)
1. Any one of the books from Jane Yolen’s “How Do Dinosaurs…” series. Of course, one of our favorite from Jane Yolen is How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?. I know I have the book memorized and I’m pretty sure that my two year old does too!
2. Dinosaur ABC by Simon Mugford
3. Curious George Dinosaur Tracks by Julie Tibbott
4. Dinosaur Pet by Marc Sedaka
5. National Geographic Kids Ultimate Dinopedia
6. Any of the Danny and the Dinosaur books by Syd Hoff.
And a Surprise for Dinosaur Week
I purchased this Hatch ‘Em Dino months ago and it’s been sitting in a closet waiting to be used…this seems like the perfect time to break it out!